Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to complete the placement process?
If you are a new student and plan to earn an Associate Degree, transfer to a four-year college, or take courses which have English/ESL or math prerequisites, you must complete the placement process.
Are there alternatives to taking the Cuesta College assessment tests?
Do I need to make an appointment to take the assessment test?
The English, ESL, and Math assessment tests are done on a walk-in basis.
What do I need to bring with me to the test?
- Photo ID
- Cuesta ID number
- A daily parking permit ($2) is required at the San Luis Obispo and North County Campuses during the Fall, Spring, and Summer sessions.
- Payment if applicable (Math, English, and ESL assessments do not have any fees.)
When will I receive my placement?
- Mutliple Measure placements for new and returning students that recently applied through the online admission application are available within 24 hours.
- Results from assessment testing are provided upon completion of the assessment. You will also be emailed a copy of the results within 24 hours.
- Results from one of the other placement methods (CAASPP/EAP, test results from another California Community College, or requests for a Multiple Measure placement for current students) are available within 5 business days.
To view your placement, login to myCuesta. Click on your “Student” tab, and then on "Student Email is Available Here.”
How can I appeal my assessment test results?
English: Students wishing to appeal their English placement results may do so by completing an appeal and writing sample: English Appeal form
ESL: Students wishing to appeal their placement results may do so by completing an appeal and writing sample: ESL Appeal form
Math: Students wishing to appeal their Math placement results may do so by completing Prerequisite Challenge Form B and by meeting with the Mathematics Division Chair.
All appeal decisions are final.
Can I take the assessment tests more than once?
The Math Assessment test can be taken twice per calendar year.
The English as a Second Language test can be taken twice per calendar year.
The English Placement test can be taken once per semester.
What if I need special accommodation?
Please click on Testing Accommodations for more information.